Law Firm serving Farmington

2013-07-16 | Philip R. Dunn

Category: Employment Law

Philip R. Dunn

 Welcome to Jackson O'Keefe, a general practice law firm of attorneys serving Farmington. The firm provides a broad spectrum of legal services to Farmington area residents and businesses. Our lawyers' goal is to provide Farmington the highest quality advocacy and counsel in a cost-effective manner. The firm's attorneys handle a variety of Farmington matters including accidents and personal injury, divorce and family law, estate planning and wills, criminal and motor vehicle charges, among many other areas. Please navigate through our website through the top and side menus to find the information you are seeking, or use the contact form above or call us at (860) 278-4040 to discuss your issue. We look forward to assisting you! The lawyers at Jackson O'Keefe are committed to providing professional representation as effectively and efficiently as possible. The firm manages cases carefully to minimize expense and protect the interests of its clients. The firm has represented individuals and businesses throughout the area for over 50 years and is AV-Rated under Martindale-Hubbell's Peer Review Rating Process®. This is the highest peer-review rating available. Several of our attorneys have also been recognized as Connecticut SuperLawyers and New England SuperLawyers by ThomsonReuters, and as published in Connecticut Magazine. All of the attorneys at Jackson O'Keefe take pride in "fighting for the little guy." We take cases we believe in for people we care about. Each case that we select is handled with extreme care and given the amount of time it needs and deserves. We're genuinely interested in the welfare of our clients. We always try to do more than merely obtain a successful result in a particular case. We're certainly proud of the results we get, and the speed with which we get them. However, we're just as proud of the fact that we return all phone calls immediately and solve every problem we can, whether it is directly related to the case or not. We've maintained friendships with many of our clients long after we've won or settled their cases. Our relationships with them are just as rewarding as our professional accomplishments on their behalf. Farmington Lawyers Jackson O’Keefe partner Philip R. Dunn currently resides in Farmington with his family. Attorney Dunn has been elected Chairmen of the Town of Farmington Planning and Zoning Commission. He previously served as a member and as the Secretary of the Commission for two years. Attorney Dunn has also been selected to serve as Farmington’s representative on the Capitol Region Council of Governments Regional Planning Commission. The Jackson O’Keefe law firm has a rich history in Farmington and has represented and continues to represent many individuals and businesses from the Town of Farmington. Farmington Connecticut Farmington was originally inhabited by the Tunxis Indian tribe. In 1640, a white settlement was established by residents of Hartford, making Farmington the oldest inland settlement west of the Connecticut River and one of the oldest communities in the state. Settlers found the area ideal because of its rich soil, location along the floodplain of the Farmington River, and valley geography. According to the Historical Society: “In 1640, a group of about a dozen English settlers from Hartford, Windsor and Wethersfield, seeking more land -- or "some enlargement of accommodation" -- bought territory from Sequasin, chief of the Tunxis Indians. They approached the land by the "Pilgrim's Path" from Hartford, which led over Talcott Mountain and descended to Mountain Spring Road. The territory extended north to Simsbury, south to Wallingford, northwest to Mohawk country, and east to Windsor, Hartford and Wethersfield -- about 225 square miles in all.” The town and river were given their present names in 1645, which is considered the incorporation year of the town. The town's boundaries were later enlarged several times, making it the largest in the Connecticut Colony. Farmington has been called the "mother of towns" because its vast area was divided to produce nine other central Connecticut communities. The borough of Unionville, in Farmington's northwest corner, was once home to many factories harnessing the water power of the Farmington River. The Farmington Canal, connecting New Haven with Northampton, Massachusetts, passed through the Farmington River on its eastern bank and was in operation between 1828 and 1848. The canal's right of way and towpath were eventually used for a railroad, portions of which were active up to the 1990s. Part of the canal and railroad line has now been converted to a multi-use trail. Farmington is steeped in New England history. Main Street, in the historic village section, is lined with colonial estates, some of which date back to the 17th century. During the Revolutionary War, George Washington passed through Farmington on several occasions and referred to the town as "the village of pretty houses." In addition, French troops under General Rochambeau encamped in Farmington en route to Westchester County to offer crucial support to General Washington's army. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 28.8 square miles (74.5 km2), of which 28.0 square miles (72.6 km2) is land and 0.77 square miles (2.0 km2), or 2.65%, is water. After its founding, Farmington gave up territory to form Southington (1779), Bristol (1785), Avon (1830), Plainville (1869), and parts of Berlin (1785) and Bloomfield (1835).[6] Farmington presently borders the towns of Avon, Burlington, Newington, West Hartford, and Plainville, and the cities of New Britain and Bristol. Farmington is mostly wooded, but there are also a myriad of meadows and hills in the east and southeast. There are also numerous ponds and lakes. The Farmington River runs through the town from the northwest from Burlington, enters Unionville, then takes a sharp turn near Farmington Center and flows north towards Avon. Jackson O’Keefe Law Firm Phone: (860) 255-8586 Fax: 860) 527-2500 Address: 14 Greencrest Dr. Farmington CT 06032

Share this:

Latest News

More Articles