The attorneys at Jackson O’Keefe provide sophisticated and pragmatic counseling and representation in a wide range of insurance defense matters, including representation of the insurance industry, policyholders, and self-insured parties. The unifying theme is our philosophy: We provide a strategic, cost-effective approach to claims that do occur, including a vigorous trial defense when needed. We are active participants in the CLM Alliance, and employ insurance-defense best practices in our representation, seeking quick resolutions and cost-effective outcomes, to minimize total cost. Lower total cost; faster closing times.
Jackson O’Keefe has been practicing in the insurance defense field since the 1950s. The firm was co-founded by a former Insurance Commissioner for the State of Connecticut, and by one of the most preeminent tort litigators in Connecticut. The firm is recognized in A.M. Best’s Directory of Recommended Insurance Attorneys. The firm is also pleased to have received the highest Martindale-Hubbell rating of “AV.” Additionally, Jackson O’Keefe is recognized in the Bar Register of Preeminent Attorneys. Several of our partners have also been peer-reviewed by Thomson Reuters as “Super Lawyers” qualifying as among the top five percent of practicing attorneys in Connecticut.
From offices in Wethersfield, the firm’s insurance defense lawyers represent businesses and individuals throughout Connecticut. To learn your options in an insurance defense matter, contact the firm to discuss your matter and issues.
Our firm is set apart by the process that we bring to our clients:
- Proactive risk mitigation and legal education: We provide periodic and annual continuing education to managers and key staff regarding critical elements for liability under Connecticut law.
- Legal Updates: We work with clients to address potential areas of concern before claims arise. We provide monthly updates to our clients of significant case law affecting coverage, liability and damages to keep clients informed and aware of the legal environment.
- Proactive advice on contract and leasing issues: Contractual provisions, subrogation clauses and additional insured provisions in contracts and leases can be critical when a loss occurs. We provide proactive advice to clients to minimize losses and shift costs as allowed by law.
- Post-loss measures: We work with clients to develop policies and procedures to properly document losses, collect and preserve relevant evidence, and identify witnesses when losses occur. These post-loss procedures can be critical in minimizing or eliminating liability, and minimizing potential damage claims. When claims occur, our well-known trial attorneys can effectively settle claims prior to suit based upon our trial capabilities. During the litigation process, we use case-appropriate strategies to minimize defense costs, seek quick resolution when appropriate, and mount a formidable defense when necessary. Our approach also focuses on pursuing appropriate third party and apportionment complaints to lessen or eliminate the liability exposure to our clients.
We will help you get ahead of your reporting and diary requirements, with a proactive approach. Our commitment is to be responsive:
- Your case is assigned to one primary attorney and one paralegal
- Your calls get through the first time to that team if at all possible
- Calls and email messages are returned promptly
- All calls and messages are responded to within 2 hours if possible, and within 24 hours at the latest
Within the firm’s insurance defense practice, the attorneys handle the litigation and appeals of insurance matters involving:
- Third-party personal injury claims. The firm defends insured defendants in personal injury lawsuits in a wide variety of claims.
- First-party claims, such as bad faith refusal to pay. Jackson O’Keefe defends insurance companies when their customers allege that the refusal to pay a claim is unjustified or in bad faith.
- Coverage analysis and consultation. The firm provides advice regarding the availability of coverage and defends insurance companies in lawsuits challenging the denial of coverage.
- Insurance agent and broker liability. Jackson O’Keefe defends insurance companies, agents or brokers allegedly engaged in misconduct or negligence.
- Professional liability, including health care professionals, lawyers, architects and engineers. The firm defends professionals and the insurance companies that have provided professional malpractice insurance to them.
- Product and manufacturing liability. The firm defends product manufacturers and distributors in product liability claims.
- Premises liability or allegations of property owner negligence. Jackson O’Keefe provides representation to owners, lessors and lessees with regard to premises liability claims.
- Municipal defense. The firm defends cities, towns, boards of education, police agencies and other governmental agencies in a wide variety of claims.
- Construction defect and work-site injury claims. The firm defends owners, construction managers, contractors, subcontractors, inspectors, engineers and design professionals, and suppliers.
Contact us today to discuss how Jackson O’Keefe can lower you total cost and increase your file closure speed. We can get you up to speed quickly, and in control of the case with an effective strategy.
Jackson O’Keefe: Your Connecticut Insurance Defense Law Firm